SGPT (Serum Glutamic-Pyruvic Transaminase)
ALT (Alanine Amino Transferase)
Operational Medicine 2001, Health
Care in Military Settings, NAVMED P-5139, May 1, 2001, Bureau
of Medicine and Surgery, Department of the Navy, 2300 E Street NW, Washington,
SGPT is an enzyme found primarily in the liver. Lesser amounts are
found in the heart, skeletal muscle and kidney.
Elevations found in:
- Any traumatic injury to any of these structures.
- Any disease affecting one of these structures.
- Cirrhosis (Mild increase)
- Liver metastasis (Mild increase)
- Obstructed bile duct (Moderate increase)
- Myocardial Infarction (Variable increase)
- Hepatitis (Moderate increase)
- Pancreatitis (Moderate increase)
- Infectious mononucleosis
*These are general values taken from a variety of
sources. The actual normal values may vary from lab to lab and from one
type of testing protocol to another.